IN THE DECADE OFTHE SEVENTIES
A BRIEF HISTORY
THE STATE HISTORIAN
THE DISTRICT LIBRARIANS
GEORGIA INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LIONS CLUBS
1970 – 1980
The International Association of Lions Clubs affords abundant opportunities for each Lion to serve his fellowman. But to be aware only of the present robs one of a proper perspective from the past.
History helps us to understand the present and to reflect on how problems of the past have been resolved. History leads us to appreciate with greater feeling the toil of those who accomplished so much before us, and history helps
us to evaluate the present as plans for the future are formulated. An appropriate historical record is necessary for inspiration, reflection, and appreciation.
This volume stands as a testimony to the unselfish efforts of more than 10,000 Lions in over 300 clubs who have etched their impact on the lives of many who may never know their benefactor. It is the history of Lionism in Georgia, during the decade of the seventies, compiled from materials in each of the six districts in Multiple District 18.
The opening chapter highlights the beginning of the decade with the Lions year 1969-70. Each of the six districts have a chapter which sketches the activities, leadership, and services rendered. It is a story of growth in membership, growth in service, and growth in state-wide projects and cooperation.
This volume is not the work of one individual but of thousands of Lions committed to serving mankind. However, special words of gratitude go to State Historian Eugene Sanders and to each of the District Librarians who have faithfully fulfilled the Constitutional requirement of writing a ten-year Georgia Lions history.
As the decade of the eighties is launched, may we challenge all Lions to greater achievements, intensified harmony, and unselfish efforts.
John F. Pearce
District Governor 18-D and Council Chairman, 1979-80
April 14, 1982
ALBERT E. JOHNSON
DISTRICT GOVERNOR, DISTRICT 18-A GEORGIA
P.O. BOX 69
ALPHARETTA, GEORGIA 30201
It is with great pleasure that the Council of Governors, 1980-1981, presents to you this history of Georgia Lionism for the decade 1970-1980.
We cannot underestimate the value of a written history. We continue to grow as Lions in our understanding of Lionism, and in our efforts to help others through the lessons learned from past endeavors. The future of any undertaking is always based upon the learning and wisdom of the past.State Historian, Past District Governor Eugene Sanders, and each District Librarian, with this thought in mind, have worked long and diligently to provide this written history of the last ten years of Lionism in Georgia. We all owe them a debt of gratitude for their fine work.
Yours in Lionism,
ALBERT E. JOHNSON
PERCY HAZLEHURST PLANT
GEORGIA’S FIRST STATE HISTORIAN
“His life and work place him among the noble.”
Eugene Sander (Ruth)
1796 Ridgewood Drive, N. E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
A- Stanley R. Kelly (Emily)
430 South Woodlawn Drive, S. W.
Marietta, Georgia 30060
B- Fraser F. Rambo (Vera)
202 East Washington Avenue
Hinesville, Georgia 31313
C- E. W. Rhoden (Margaret)
1121 Ninth Street, S. W.
Moultrie, Georgia 31768
D- Hugh Inglis (Elizabeth)
132 Colonial Drive
Athens, Georgia 30601
E- C. Vernon Glisson (Frances)
400 Marshallville Road
Fort Valley, Georgia 31030
F- F. Hughes Willingham (Mildred)
P. O. Box 216
Lincolnton, Georgia 30817
Article IV, Section 3 of the State Constitution and By-Laws states: “A committee composed of the State Historian, Past State Historians, District Librarians, shall compile, edit, and publish the History of Lions in this state every ten years beginning in 1980 as the first date of publication and every tenth year thereafter ending in zero and shall be approved by the State Council before being published.”
Without the wholehearted help of these dedicated Lions officially designated to perform this duty, and whose names are listed on the cover page, the actual work could not have been done.‘
Without the generous and sympathetic cooperation of the 1980-81 State Council listed on page iii this history would not have been produced.
Before 1975 under the supervision and with the help and cooperation of the members of the State Councils a considerable body of historic material was compiled and distributed to the Lions clubs, but never produced in permanent form. From that time until the 1980-81 group of District Governors, revived interest in the work, historical activity languished, and the material for authentic historical records was neglected, sometimes non-existent. With the approach of the crucial date for publication, however, the 1980-81 officials reversed that trend, and gave every encouragement and support to those officially responsible for the work. To them we acknowledge a total indebtedness and appreciation.
Albert E. Johnson (18-A)
Council International Convention Chairman
Jimmy D. Kay (18-F)
Don Hardigree (18-D)
Dr. John Pearce
G. Harris Satterfield (18-E)
Eugene K. Lindsay
T. G. Crosby (18-B)
Council State Convention
Don Sickmon (18-C)
State Lion Tamer
James B. Zittrauer
GEORGIA LIONISM IN THE DECADE OF THE SEVENTIES
The sixties merged into the decade of the seventies with few regrets. There were high hopes of escaping the effect of the preceding decade with its holdover of influences amounting to a definite trend, if not a decided change in our social structure, our attitudes, and way of life.
At the beginning of the decade of the seventies, Lionism in Georgia was almost fifty years old. Born of World War I it may represent the unconquerable human spirit to rise in the best and highest sense to the nobler needs of man, just as the era around the great depression of the thirties saw a wide proliferation of Lions Clubs, because men needed help, and wanted to help others in need.
This has been the distinguishing hallmark of Lionism, the one thing which in spite of its failures in whatever form, has caused Lionism to grow, to prosper, to become noble, widespread and universal.
The first Lions Club organized in Georgia, which now constitutes the Eighteenth District of Lionism, was that of Atlanta, which held its first meeting on December 17, 1920. The only surviving charter member is Lion Victor Todd, who was honored by the club on Friday, November 9, 1979, after a noble and distinguished life in Lionism, which has endeared him to all who know him. He was ninety-two years of age December 26, 1979.
The decade has been referred to as the “surprising seventies, the shocking seventies”, along with other characterizations less flattering. Certainly this decade has been different, but it has grown upon the stalwart body of Lionism which was begun in this state fifty years earlier.
Since the fiscal year in Lionism begins on July1 each year, the decade of the seventies was ushered in under the influence of the year 1969-70. This was the year that W. Richard Bryan, of Doylestown, Ohio was President of Lions International, David A. Evans, of Houston, Texas was Immediate Past President, and Robert D. McCullough, D. O. of Tulsa, Oklahoma was First Vice President. Joe B. Davis was our Immediate Past International Director, 1966-68; and Marvin G. Pound, Sr., 1954-56, was our only other living Past International Director, although four other Georgians had held that office: Thomas H. Halliburton, 1924-28, from Macon; George S. Johnson, 1940-42, LaGrange; Dr. Homer I. Barker, 1949-51, Carrollton; and Ivan H. Jackson, 1958-60, Cartersville. Dr. Don W. Schmidt of Cedartown became International Director in 1971-73, followed in 1979-81 by International Director Edwin C. Daniel, of Chamblee.
It was at this state Convention in 1969 that George P. Crumbley, Jr. of the Atlanta Lions Club became the District Governor of 18A. He was to become International Director 1974-76 in San Francisco, and as Executive Director of the Peach Bowl from 1968 was to lead it to the crowning success which thrilled all Georgia Lions the last day of 1979, when Clemson and Baylor played to a sell-out stadium crowd with more than 57,000 in attendance.
In the spring of 1981, Emory University announced that Lion George Crumbley received the Award of Honor, the highest distinction bestowed by the Alumni Association at Alumni Day, May 2.
Having distinguished himself in community service, George Crumbley also served his alma mater in a unique way. As a liffetime Director of the Georgia Lions Lighthouse for the Blind and as Executive Director of the Peach Bowl, he was instrumental in establishing the Peach Bowl as the only postseason football extravaganza with charitable objectives.
In that role he has helped to build a relationship of cooperation in Atlanta among business, civic, educational, and health leaders. Through these initiatives, growing support has come to the Georgia Lions Eye Bank at Emory and to the programs of teaching, research, and patient care in sight preservation and restoration in Emory’s Eye Center which are now being thrust into International prominence.Lion Jimmy Carter, who was to be elected Governor of the State of Georgia in 1970, and President of the United States in 1976, was Council Advisor, having served as Council Chairman the year before, and as president of his Lions Club of Plains in 1957-58, after joining the Plains Lions Club in l953. An article Carter wrote, published in THE LION, is reproduced in Appendix A for its constant value. Then, years later, speaking at the White House to a large group of Past District Governors from Georgia who had gathered in Washington to honor him on March 31, 1979, he changed his former title of Lion President” to “President Lion”.
In his message from the District Governor to the clubs in his district, District Governor Jimmy Carter stated that “the achievements of Lionism must originate within the local clubs, that individual Lions deserve the credit for great work, and they also deserve the blame for failure to take advantage of service opportunities.” As every District Governor should be able to say at the end of his year of service, Jimmy Carter, past President of the United States of America, said, “My dedication to the principles of Lionism has been strengthened.”
In July 1969 there were 278 active Lions Clubs in the six districts. Since the first club in 1920 there had been organized in this state 509 Lions Clubs.
This ratio of active clubs to the total organized shows the constant surge of Lionism back and forth, the struggle for existence, expansion and success. Of the first 50 clubs organized in Georgia, 3l were cancelled and 22 were reorganized, according to early reports, during the first dozen years. Moreover, it is true that of late years most of these clubs have been reorganized. The population increase and suburban build-up have changed the growth pattern, so that many formerly barren places are now thriving, while other areas have suffered a loss. The constant growth in the number of Lions Clubs and the number of members attest the vigor, value, and vitality of the Lions International organization, although before the decade was over there was to be a change of emphasis, as world conditions change rapidly in international growth, pressing clubs in the United States to greater activity.
THE BEGINNING OF THE DECADE 1969 – 70
The six District Governors who ushered in the Decade of the Seventies were:
A. George P. Crumbley, Jr. (Carolyn), Atlanta
B. Roy L. Jones, Jr. (Evelyn), Douglas
C. W. Asbury Stembridge (Charlotte), Cordele
D. Robert A. Holbrook (Margaret), North Decatur
E. William Ballek (Martha) Macon Southside
F. Willard M. Prior (Sarah), Augusta
Past International Director Alcee F. Maxfield (Kathleen), Vine Angle, continued as State Secretary for the fifth year; Rupert Gay (Mildred), Millen, was reelected State Lion Tamer for the fourth time; and Eugene Sanders (Ruth), Decatur, as State Historian for the sixth time, and Boone B. Owen (Eugenia), Blackshear, was serving as President of
the Past District Governors Group.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR 18-A
The Atlanta Lions Club won the district contest, with all clubs making a good showing. Thirty-four club secretaries were 100%.
The Charter date of each club was recorded in the District Governor’s annual report. The Rossville Lions Club sponsored the Chattanooga Valley Lions Club, chartered March 13, 1970. There were 66 Charter Member, the largest in the history of Georgia Lionism.
International President W.R. Bryan spoke at the District Rally, held in Atlanta, December 30, 1969 at the Sheraton Biltmore with 340 in attendance. There was a net increase in membership of 68 new members; July 1, 1969 there were 2,234 members; April 30, 1970 there were 2,302 members. District 18-A sold 5,655 Peach Bowl Tickets, but the Atlanta Lions Club sold 2,229 of these. District18-A sold 46% of the total number of 12,430 Peach Bowl tickets sold by Georgia Lions. Every Club in the district made a generous contribution to the Lighthouse. A specific financial report showed $7,335.32 received and $6,739.60 expended during the year, leaving $558.73 more in the treasury than at the beginning of the year.
18-B 1969 – 70
District 18-B of Georgia Multiple District 18 is located in the southeastern section of the state comprising the coastal section and including twenty-eight counties with thirty-nine Lions Clubs. In this district is Glynn county with the marshes of Glynn made famous by Sidney Lanier, as well as a Lanier County, and part of the famous Okefenokee Swamp. Down the middle of the district runs the Altamaha River important in Georgia’s history and flora.
Roy L. Jones became the fourth Lion from the Douglas Lions Club to become District Governor. Elected to this high office for 1943-44 was Robert L. Cowart; 1949-50 Dr. Walter Wilson, Jr.; 1963-64 Winston Purvis, and for 1969 Roy L. Jones, Jr. (Evelyn).
Membership in the district increased from 1,549 (July 1, 1969) to 1,761 (May 15, 1970)
Over $10,000. was contributed to the Lighthouse.
All M&A Reports reached Lions International before the deadline. Twenty-four clubs contributed to Care. Two hundred and thirty-two Peach Bowl tickets were sold, and 145 Peach Bowl memberships.
Ninety-one eye donor forms were secured. Savannah organized one Leo club. Harold Preble, President of the Savannah Lions Club received the District Governor’s Distinguished Service Award.
The District Governor made 97 Club visits. The sum of $1,045.53 was contributed to the Lions in Mississippi in the Hurricane Camille Disaster. District 18-B was 100% in contributions to the Lighthouse by October 19, 1969. This was the earliest any district in Georgia had ever been 100%
The sum of $240.00 was in the treasury at the beginning of the year, and $538.83 at the end. The income for the year was $3,958.70 and expenses amounted to $3,419.87.
18-C 1969 – 70
W. Asbury Stembridge, of the Cordele Lions Club was elected District Governor of District 18-C June 3, 1969 at the state convention in Macon. The Cordele Lions Club was the fourth Lions club chartered in Georgia. It was organized March 23, 1922 by J. A. Davenport with its Charter Night April 27, 1922. According to the records of Lions International its charter was cancelled November 17, 1924 and it was reorganized January 26, 1934. Its Past District Governors are B. I. Thornton 1946-47; Jack G. Comer 1951-52; Louis H. Gilbert 1957-58; and 1957-58; and M. F. Carter 1963-64. The state convention was held in Cordele in 1944, when there were only three districts in Georgia; the District Governors being: C. Hoko Sewell (A) Bremen; Robert Cowart (B) Douglas and C. C. Higginbotham (C) LaGrange in 1944. It was from the experiences of this convention that ideas for the State Awards Committee and the State Uniform were born. This was also the first convention attended by members of the Buckhead (Atlanta) Lions Club.
The year began with 47 clubs operating in District 18-C. Two new clubs were organized during the year, and the membership was increased by a net gain of 65.
Unadilla maintained 100% attendance for the eighth consecutive year, and Americus won the Comer award for the best all round club in the District.
Americus was the second club organized in Georgia, February 23, 1921.
First International Vice President Robert D. McCullough was guest speaker at the District Assembly in Cordele. The District was 100% in affiliation with the Lighthouse, and secured 199 eye donors.
Total income for the year was $4,527.55 and the amount expended $3,108.87. The amount received from the previous administration was $947.05; passed on to the succeeding administration was $1,418.38.
18-D 1969 – 70
Calling on District 18-D to maintain. a position of leadership the state, Robert A. Holbrook (Margaret) North Decatur, newly elected District Governor, appointed William C. Gibson, Jr. (Eloise) from his home club as Cabinet Secretary-Treasurer. Lion Gibson was to become District Governor 1974-75 and serve as State Lion Tamer 1977-79. Carl L. Donaldson (Ellen) North Dekalb, Immediate Past District Governor, was Cabinet Advisor.
With a total of 55 Lions Clubs, District 18-D had developed into a district strong in many ways, for a decade containing the top two clubs in the state. Druid Hills and North DeKalb carrying off the honors year after year was just one example of the District Governors exhortation to Maintain Leadership.
Past District Governor Willard Kimsey (Marion) Toccoa, was the second president of the Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation, Inc. from this district, Past International Director Joe B. Davis having served as president of the Lighthouse for two terms 1961-62 and 1962-63, Ken Massingale was elected president in 1979, and continues in office.
District 18-D contributed $14,495.10 to the Lighthouse during the year; $6,567.46 was spent in the District. There were 77 eye donors.
The second Peach Bowl Game generated a profit of $51,646.74. Nearly 50,000 tickets were sold; 12,430 were sold by the Lions of Georgia. Nine Clubs sold over 100 tickets each. District 18-D sold 3,434 Peach Bowl tickets.
North DeKalb won the Scrap Book contest, with Decatur in second place.
In the Annual District Governors Contest Druid Hills won first place, Toccoa second, Decatur third.
In the Membership Retention Contest the Classic City Lions Club won with no losses and a gain of 12 members, to a total membership of 34.
International President’s Membership Appreciation Awards were received by District Governor Hollbrook, Cabinet Secretary-Treasurer Gibson, and Past District Governor Ed Owens, Buford Club.
Five clubs maintained 100% attendance; Brookhaven, Druid Hills, Jefferson, North Dekalb, and Toccoa. Hartwell had 99.5% and Cornelia 99.3% attendance.
Twenty-five District 18-D Lions won Membership awards in the Year 1969-70.
Receipts for the year totaled $5,483.16 with $3,761.53 expended.
18-E 1969 – 70
Lion William Ballek (Martha), Southside Macon, was elected District Governor of District 18-E in June 1969.
Past District Governor W. E. Bizzell (Libby) Griffin was elected District Librarian, and Immediate Past District Governor Harry M. Jones (Louise) Columbus became Cabinet Advisor.
Lion C. Frank Hollberg, III was Vice President of the Lighthouse, and was to become its president 1973-74 and Peach Bowl President in 1979.
Peach Bowl Directors were W. T. Cooksey, Hamilton, C. H. Orrick, Thomaston, and C. Frank Hollberg, Senoia.
Two new clubs were added to the district making a total of 48. Bonanza Lions Club, sponsored by the Griffin Club, and the East Columbus Lions Club, sponsored by both the Columbus and the Muscogee clubs brought extension awards to Deputy District Governor Harry Davis and to President Austin Crouch in the first case, and to Lions Harry Jones and Duncan Chapman in the second.
Twenty one of the clubs increased membership and twelve had an attendance of 85% or more. Perry, Columbus, and Muscogee won the attendance plaques. Macon Southside was first in the District Contest, Warner Robins second, and Macon Vine Ingle third.
In response to an appeal for aid, from the five District Governors of Multiple District 30, Mississippi, for the Lions of Mississippi hit by Hurricane Camille, 28 Clubs in the District contributed $1,900.00.
The first city-wide Glaucoma screening Program in Georgia was held in Macon on September 28, 1969. The Lions Clubs of Macon, with the help of ophthalmologists and many others tested 1,191 persons. Forty persons were found with suspicion of Glaucoma and 50 eye donor forms were signed. This project received a write-up in the May Issue of THE LION.
The District was again 100% in the Care program. Each club contributed at least $5.00 per club to this cause.
OUTSTANDING BLIND AWARD
This award is presented each year, at the State Convention, to a blind person for some outstanding achievement of unusual service performed for community or club.
The winner of this award this year was Lion Jack Lewis from the Macon Southside Lions Club, for an admirable list of accomplishments in Education, Employment and Professional Associations.
FOUNDERS MEMBERSHIP GROWTH AWARD
This award is given to a club that has a NET increase of 12 or more members during the year, May 31, 1969 to May 31, 1970. Only one club was able to win this award. This club was Stockbridge Lions Club, with an increase of 15 members.
Vine Ingle Macon Lions Club won the Herschel McElroy Award for Eye Donors. Sixteen clubs enlisted 154 donors.
Past District Governor R. Shaefer Heard (Janie), 1944-45 West Point, had already received his Key of State (75 members). Lion Heard has 85 new members to his credit, as District Governor Lion Heard shared in launching the State Awards program and the State Uniform in 1944-45. He has since received many honors for his civic contributions, among which stands as a monument the new West Point Dam on the Chattahoochee protecting West Point and environs. A Charter member of the West Point Lions Club, organized in April 1336, he maintained perfect attendance. Since serving as District Governor, he has served a term 1963-65 in the Georgia State Senate. He has been cited by the Chamber of Commerce for his record of outstanding contributions to the community, and in April 1968 was presented the Outstanding Civilian Service Award by the United States Army. In 1971 he was presented a scroll by the West Point Lions Club “for thirty-five years of outstanding service to his community through Lionism”.
Twenty-four clubs in the district purchased Wishing Wells, as a means of collecting funds for the Lighthouse.
An important feature of the District Governors’ Annual Report was a list of activities and projects for all the clubs in the District – a helpful and enlightening source of suggestions for other clubs. These afford good Public Relations.
There were six Zone Socials. All clubs participated in the Lighthouse program donating $10,679.38.Total spent in District 18-E was $10,970.00.
There were 20 presidents and 27 secretaries 100%.
District 18-E sold 1,300 Peach Bowl Tickets.
Lion member Dennis McBride of Willingham Senior High school, Macon, represented Multiple District 18 at Lion International’s Second World Youth Congress in Atlantic City June 29, 1970.
Received from the previous administration was the sum of $1,034.45. Total receipts for the year: $6,538.95. Amount Expended, $5,342.13.
18-F 1969 – 70
Willard W. Prior (Sarah) Augusta was elected District Governor at the State Convention, and F. Hughes Willingham, District Governor 1959-60 Lincolnton, was elected District Librarian. The new District Governor appointed Walker L. Dupree (Helen) as Cabinet Secretary-Treasurer and Olin C. Newby (Rosemary), Washington as Cabinet Advisor.
District 18-F wound up the year with 40 clubs and a membership of 1,120 including the new Danville-Allentown Lions Club sponsored by the Club in Dexter, and chartered May 9, 1970.
Well attended cabinet meetings were held in Washington, Swainsboro, Augusta, and Covington.
District 18-F was the fourth district in the state to go 100% in its support of the Lighthouse during the year.
In the district contest, Louisville won first place, Sylvania second, and Midville third. Five Clubs, Midville, National Hills, Martinez-Evans, Dublin, and Glascock County lost no members during the year. The first two clubs named
won the Rex Award, and the other three a certificate award. Thirty clubs received new members.
There was participation in the Peach Bowl Princess contest; the Waynesboro Lions Club sponsoring the district princess, Miss Gail Hilliard. Several clubs contributed to the Eye Bank, and there were seven Membership Keys received in the District.
District 18-F was saddened by the passing of fifteen Lions who contributed mightily to their communities and to their fellowman through Lionism. Among them was Past District Governor Henry M. Willis 1956-57, of Washington, whose steady, consistent dedication to Lionism, along with others in this noble company, advanced the principles of Service and the Objects of Lionism.
This was the year, these the Lions, and their deeds–but the DECADE OF THE SEVENTIES was already here!!