Brief History of the Lions of Georgia 1920 to 1954
OFFICE OF THE STATE HISTORIAN
May 1, 1969
The first natural division in the story of Lionism in Georgia is the period from 1920 to 1937 when the entire state of Georgia was in one District.
The attached material, relating to that period in our history, is offered to you now as a challenge, and not as a finished product. It is hoped that Lions will read it critically, and aid in correcting any errors.
Our greatest hope, however, is that Lions will be challenged to enrich this basic material with interesting sidelights, information, records, recollections, and thoughts that are not now recorded. Older Lions, particularly the Past District Governors during those years, can contribute important items with which no one else is familiar. They are the source of enriching, historical material, which, if not recorded soon till be lost forever.
The purpose of this offering, then, is to urge you to participate in the production of our history by contributing what you know of interesting facts, events, people, with as many names, places and dates as possible. We welcome such material.
Your reaction will help determine whether our history is a dry compendium of facts and statistics or whether it will sparkle with the deeds, memories, personalities, and spirit which have built, and are building, the Lionism we love.
Lions of GEORGIA
First Club – Atlanta
The first Lions Club organized in the State of Georgia, which now constitutes the Eighteenth District of Lionism, was that of Atlanta; which held its first meeting on December 17, 1920. The first President of this first Georgia Lions Club was J. R. Smith; the first Secretary, T. R. Gentry.
Georgia was not at that time the Eighteenth District; it was part of the old Fifth District, which embraced Eastern Texas, Louisiana, and at times, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.
Lionism itself was only a little more than three years old. The International Association of Lions Clubs was organized on June 7, 1917, at a historic meeting held at the Hotel La Salle in Chicago. The nucleus of the organization was a group of unaffiliated clubs of various names, scattered over the middle west and southwest. Melvin Jones, then secretary of the Business Circle of Chicago, began a correspondence with other similar clubs as far back as 1914, and labored steadily to bring them together into an association under a single name and working for a single program of usefulness.
His plan was consummated when some 27 of these clubs were represented at the Chicago meeting. They agreed to form an association, and adopted the name “Lions.” They appointed committees, and issued a call for a convention of accredited delegates from the various clubs. This first International Convention of the Lions was held at Dallas, Texas, on October 8-10, 1917. A constitution was adopted, officers were elected, and a program of expansion mapped out.
One of the first steps taken toward carrying out this program of expansion was to lay out the territory of the United States into districts, and place a District Governor in charge of each. The districts, as first arranged, were numbered
eastwardly from the Pacific Coast, though not with exact regularity. The arrangement was: First District, California, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada; Second District, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Western Wisconsin; Third District, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana; Fourth District, Western Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona: Fifth District, Eastern Texas, Louisiana, and at times Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida: Sixth District, Oklahoma and Kansas; Seventh District, Arkansas and Missouri: Eighth District, Kentucky and Tennessee, and at times Mississippi; Ninth District, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Eastern Wisconsin.
The remaining territory of the United States was not districted at that time for the reason that there was no machinery
for either the organization or the administration of Lions Clubs, and the prospects then was that it would be some time before Lionism could be extended to other sections. However, Lions Clubs grew and flourished, and multiplied more rapidly than was expected by any but a few who had caught the true vision of what it meant and what it could do. Presently it was found necessary to divide some districts, appoint additional district governors, and to create new districts in states where Lions Clubs had been organized outside any regular jurisdiction.
Shortly after the International Convention at Oakland, California in 1921, the entire country was re-districted. Under the new arrangement the states were aligned thus: First District, Illinois, where the Present International Association was organized and which was made headquarters; Second District, Texas, where the earliest Lions Clubs were formed, and which at that time led in number of clubs and of members; Third District, Oklahoma, which then was a close second to Texas; Fourth District, California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada; Fifth District, Minnesota, North and South Dakota; Sixth District, Colorado; Seventh District, Arkansas; Eighth District, Louisiana; Ninth District, Iowa and Nebraska: Tenth District, Upper Michigan; Eleventh District, Lower Michigan; Twelfth District, Kentucky and Tennessee; Thirteenth District, Ohio; Fourteenth District, Pennsylvania; Fifteenth District, Wyoming and Montana; Sixteenth District, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia: Seventeenth District, Kansas; Eighteenth District, Georgia, Alabama and Florida.
It was not until there were three Lions Clubs organized in Georgia that any steps were taken toward establishing a district organization. During the year following the organization of the Atlanta Club, two more Clubs were formed. The
Club at Americus was organized on February 23, 1921, only a few weeks after Atlanta’s first meeting. The first President was Dan Chappell; the first Secretary, C. M. Hall. The Lions Club of Macon followed on May 6. Its first President was George E. Patterson; its first Secretary, W. C. Stokes.
These three Lions Clubs themselves undertook to set up a district government. They held a joint meeting at Macon, Georgia on December 27, 1921, and proceeded to elect H. E. Allen of Americus “Acting Governor of the Georgia Division.” While the International President had not appointed him, and did not for a long time confirm the selection of the three Georgia Clubs, recognition was gradually accorded Lion Allen as the de facto District Governor, and he was very earnest and vigorous in pushing the organization of new Lions Clubs in Georgia. Six new Clubs had held their organization meetings, and three others were in process of organization before his term expired. In the meantime, Alabama, which at first he had not considered in his district, had come to the front by organization of a Lions Club at Montgomery, on June 12, 1922: and Mobile on October 9, 1922. Florida had one Lions Club — that organized at Orlando on December 15. 1920. International informed District Governor Allen that Alabama and Florida were also under his jurisdiction, and he accepted the added responsibility.
First District Convention – October 12, 1922
The first district convention ever held in the Eighteenth District of Lionism, which then comprised the States of Georgia, Florida and Alabama, was held at Macon, Georgia, on October 12, 1922, with District Governor Allen presiding. Ten Lions Clubs took part. The registered delegates and visitors numbered 62.
The election resulted in the choice of M. J. Whitman of Macon, Georgia, District Governor. Savannah, Georgia won the 1923 district convention.
Clubs in 1921…..3
|Members in 1921…..208|
|Number Clubs in 1922…..5||Members in 1922…..256|
|Gained in the year…………2||Gained in the year…. 48|
1922 – 1923
Immediately after the convention, his business demanded that District Governor Whitman remove to New York City, and he resigned his office on November 1. Under the district constitution, Deputy E. W. Rosenthal of Savannah succeeded to the District Governorship, and at once assumed office. The number of Lions Clubs in the state almost doubled in the next year under vigorous work by field directors from International, and the cooperation of the local clubs.
The second annual convention of the Lions Clubs of Georgia, Alabama and Florida, constituting the Eighteenth District, was held at Savannah, Georgia, on May 25-26, 1923. International was represented by Director Ben A. Ruffin of Richmond, Virginia, who delivered the principal address.
The delegates discussed at some length the proposal that the Eighteenth District be divided, and that Georgia constitute a separate district. The almost unanimous sentiment was that it would not be best at that time, and District Governor Rosenthal was instructed to convey this sentiment to International at the International Convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Richard C. Jordan of Macon, Georgia, was elected District Governor. The three deputies — one from each state — were C. H. Cooper of Orlando, Florida; John L. Travis of Savannah, Georgia; and H. R. Helie of Montgomery, Alabama. The 1924 district convention was voted to Montgomery, Alabama.
Clubs in 1922…..5
|Number Clubs in 1923….14||Members in
|Gained in the year…………9||Gained in the year…379|
1923 – 1924
The third annual district convention of the Eighteenth District Lions Clubs, of the states of Georgia, Alabama and Florida, was held at Montgomery, Alabama on May 21-22, 1924. There had been a gain of four clubs and fifty members in Georgia during the year; also there had been a most successful district conference on February 29, at the time of the visit of International President John S. Noel. Sixteen Georgia Lions Clubs and two from Alabama had taken part in that meeting.
One of the most important actions taken at the convention was the resolution to divide the district, and permit the six Lions Clubs of Alabama to organize a district of their own. The Alabama delegates had a meeting, and four of the six favored the move. When a resolution was introduced into the convention by the chairman of the resolutions committee, E. R. Beckwith of Montgomery, every delegate in the hall voted in favor of recommending to International that a separation be granted.
The Alabama delegates withdrew from the hall and held a little district meeting of their own, electing W. I. Pittman of Birmingham as District Governor, and Thomas Ward of Tuscaloosa deputy. Alabama was promptly recognized by International as an independent organization, and became the Thirty-fourth District.
The delegates from Georgia and Florida then held an election, and chose W. C. Parker of Waycross, Georgia as District Governor, with three deputies– H. K. Park of Columbus, Georgia, Press Huddleston of Atlanta, and William Burwell of Miami, Florida. The next district convention of the Eighteenth District, was voted to
1924 – 1925
A few months after the district convention at Montgomery, International granted Florida permission to withdraw from the Eighteenth District and become a separate district. They became the Thirty-fifth district, and the State of Georgia constituted the Eighteenth District of Lionism.
There was a slight falling off in both the number of clubs and membership in Georgia in the year 1924-25. The Number of Clubs dropped to 15 in number, and the members dropped to 549.
Fifty delegates from nine of the Clubs were in attendance. International Directors Ben A. Ruffin, Richmond Virginia; and Thomas H. Halliburton of Macon, Georgia, delivered addresses.
George Conklin of Augusta was elected District Governor, and the 1926 district convention was voted to Macon.
1925 – 1926
The district held its own in number of Clubs, and sustained by a slight loss of 22 in membership in the year 1925-26. When the fifth annual district convention met at Macon on May 21-22, 1926, there were ten of the fifteen Clubs represented by accredited delegates. International was again represented by Director Ben A. Ruffin of Richmond, Virginia; and Tom Halliburton, of Macon, Georgia. Among the resolutions adopted was one of regret over the death of Past District Governor Richard C. Jordan.
The election resulted in the choice of William A. Mann of Macon, for District Governor, and the choice of Albany as the 1927 convention city.
1926 – 1927
There was a recession both in the number of Lions Clubs and the total membership in Georgia during the year 1926-27. The clubs fell in number from 15 to 12, and the membership from 527 to 467.
The sixth annual convention was held on May 5-6, 1927, at Albany, Georgia. The health of the district governor had broken, but none of those attending the convention realized that he was doomed to pass from this life a few months later.
Ten of the twelve Lions Clubs of the district were represented at the convention by 62 delegates.
J. 0. Pertain of Atlanta was elected District Governor, and Athens was awarded the district convention of 1928.
1927 – 1928
The seventh annual convention of Georgia was held at Athens on May 17-18, 1928. All but two Clubs sent delegates to the convention. The delegates numbered 39 and the guests 23. International Directors Thomas H. Halliburton of Macon; and G. H. Hastings of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, were the principal speakers.
Two of the outstanding Lions of the district had died since the previous convention: Past District Governor William A. Mann of Macon, and Past President George L. Alexander of the Forsyth Club. Resolutions in their memory were adopted.
The convention voted unanimously to provide funds for another three-year term of support for the Juvenile Braille Magazine, to be supplied free to all the blind children in the state.
Joseph W. Popper of Macon was elected District Governor, and the 1929 convention was voted to Valdosta.
Clubs in 1927…..12
|Number Members in 1927…467|
|Number Clubs in 1928…..11||Number Members in 1928…433|
|Lost during the year……… 1||Lost during the year..………… 34
1928 – 1929
Lionism in Georgia during the year 1928 progressed very favorably and reports show an increase of nearly ninety per cent in total number of clubs and over fifty per cent in membership during that period.
The ninth annual convention was held at Valdosta, on May 2-3, 1929. The convention was presided over by District Governor Popper. Tom Curry of Dublin, was elected District Governor, and Griffin, Georgia was selected for next convention.
Clubs in 1928…..11
|Number Members in
|Number Clubs in 1929…..20||Number Members in
during the year….. 9
during the year..…… 235
1929 – 1930
Although the advance was not as marked as was that of the previous year, Lionism went forward in Georgia during the fiscal year 1929-30. The ninth annual convention met at Griffin on May 14, 1930, lasting: two days, much business of an important nature was transacted, and it was decided to petition the state legislative bodies to pass a bill creating a State Blind Commission, supported by state appropriation, to make a survey of the number and condition of all the blind of the state, and report to the Lions. International Director Roderick Beddow, of Birmingham, Alabama, was the principal speaker.
Channing Cope, of Atlanta, was elected District Governor, and Atlanta was awarded the next convention.
1930 – 1931
The number of Clubs was increased during the fiscal year by two, and the total membership was increased by seven.
Through the difficult year of 1930-31 the district lost no Clubs, and the membership suffered only a slight loss of 137.
When the convention met at Atlanta on May 28-29, 1931, there were 13 Clubs represented, with a total registration of 117. Committees were appointed and resolutions adopted to continue the major activities of carrying on blind work, presenting the Braille Magazine to the blind; and going further into seeing to it that boys are kept in school. Regular Presidents and Secretaries meetings were held, at which meetings the matters of membership, finances, and other responsibilities pertaining to their offices were fully discussed.
Geoffrey B. King of Savannah was elected District Governor, and Savannah was chosen the 1932 convention city.
1931 – 1932
Under the Administration of District Governor King, Georgia forged ahead during a year when most districts were having a great deal of difficulty. Twelve new clubs were added to the district and 209 new members during the year 1931-32.
The district convention held in Savannah was one of the most successful held by the district association. Over 134 Lions registered, and many more were in attendance who attended sessions of the convention, while many guests and
members of Lion families were also in attendance. The International Board of Directors was represented by International Director Edwin R. Kingsley of Parkersburg, West Virginia, who gave the major address of the convention. Dr. A. M. Soule, President of the State College also addressed the convention.
1932 – 1933
The major activity adopted for the year 1932-33 was to lend all effort to habituate uncultivated land with unemployed, so that the land can be made productive and the unemployed be given a chance to support themselves and families from the land.
Marvin G. Pound of Sparta was elected District Governor to succeed Lion King, and the next convention host city chosen was Waycross.
Under District Governor Pound, District Eighteen had a splendid record of achievement during the fiscal year 1932-33. Eleven new clubs were organized, making a net gain of six. The membership was increased by 82, and twelve members obtained Keys, making a total of 35.
The district convention was held at Waycross on June 12-13, 1933. It was called to order by Lion H. F. Stallings, President of the host club. The address of welcome was made by Hon. L. B. Harrell, Mayor of Waycross; with response by Past District Governor J. 0. Partain, of Atlanta. Marvin G. Pound, District Governor, assumed the chair and made his report. Following a Fellowship Luncheon conducted by the Savannah Club, there was a short business session featuring a fine speech by W. K. Charles, Greenwood, South Carolina, Chairman of the International Board of Governors.
Both the breakfast of the Presidents and that of the Secretaries was well attended, and there was general discussion on topics relative to the proper functioning of a Lions Club. Following reports by the various committees, there was a Model Luncheon conducted by the Statesboro Club.
George S. Johnson, La Grange, was elected District Governor, and Decatur was chosen as the next convention city.
1933 – 1934
Again Lionism in Georgia made wonderful forward strides during the year 1933-34. District Governor Johnson made 44 visits to the clubs in his district. Eighteen new Clubs were organized, giving a net gain of eleven for the year; 45 members secured Keys; 3 earned Master Keys; and the total membership of the district was increased by 340.
The convention was held at Decatur on June 20-21, and was one of the best the district had ever held. W. J. Scott, President of the host club, presided at the opening, and welcome was extended by Mayor J. C. Johnson. Response was by Past District Governor Parker, of Waycross, and H. McWhorter, of Lexington.
Some very high class entertainment was given at the noon-day luncheon, but the big feature was a splendid address by John A. Lloyd, Portsmouth, Ohio, a Director of Lions International.
An unusual and much enjoyed feature of the convention was music by the Decatur Girls High-Lions Club orchestra and the Decatur Boys High-Lions Club orchestra, the first projects of the Decatur Lions Club.
The major activities for the year were decided to be Blind Work and concentration on the rehabilitation of laggard clubs.
William T. Ray, Athens, was elected District Governor, and Columbus was chosen as the next convention city.
1934 – 1935
Georgia continued to expand and progress during 1934-36 under District Governor William T. Ray of Athens and his corps of State Officers, composed of District Secretary W. A. Abercrombie of Athens, and Deputy District Governors H. A. Stallings of Waycross, Dr. R. A. Enzor of Smithville, A. Lester Henderson of Savannah, J. E. Cook of Wrightsville, W. E. Graham of Lafayette, N. V. Dyer of Tocoa, Blue Holleman of Augusta, N. J. Scott of Decatur.
The number of Lions Clubs within the state was increased from 51 to 63 during the year and the membership increased 386 to an all-time high up to that time of 1,555. During the year District Governor Ray made 59 official visits to his clubs and his deputies made 21. At the end of the fiscal year 168 Georgia Lions were Key Members and six of these had reached the rank of Master Key Member.
The annual convention was held in Columbus, May 27-28, 1935 with Wilbur J. Dixon of New Canaan, Connecticut, chairman of the board of governors for the International Association, present as International representative. Many important matters such as membership, finances and programs were discussed at the meetings of club secretaries and presidents, and a special feature of the convention program was a series of five-minute talks by Lions on various phases of Lionism in Georgia. The convention presented retiring District Governor Ray with a watch as an evidence of the high esteem in which Georgia Lions held his leadership, and endorsed him for the post of chairman of the board of governors in the International Association. He was subsequently elected to this office by the board of governors which met during the International Convention in Mexico City the following July (1935). Chief among the other resolutions passed by the convention were (1) a resolution urging the construction of a national highway through Okefenokee Swamp, and (2) a resolution urging the prompt release of Georgia’s federal allotment for highway construction.
Gainesville was selected as the 1936 convention City, and H. A. Stallings of Waycross, was elected to succeed Lion Ray in the office of District Governor for 1935-36.
1935 – 1936
Lionism in Georgia continued its forward stride in 1935-36. Governor H. A. Stallings, of Waycross, made 98 visits to his 72 clubs, a splendid record, and the result was plainly evident in the increased activity and enthusiasm. The total number of clubs had been increased by nine, and 172 new members enrolled. There were 192 Key Members – a gain of 24 – and 3 Master Keys had been issued, bringing the total to 9. Credit can be given, too, to his Deputies, each of whom made a report at the convention. They were: Lawrence Shields, Columbus; R. A. Enzor, Smithville; J. P. Stiles, La Fayette; Howell Brook, Canton; N. V. Dyer, Tocoa; Rev. Stanley R. Grubb, Athens; Joe Scott, Atlanta; Stanley Elkan, Macon; Herbert Elliott, Augusta; Capt. Lester Henderson, Savannah; R. E. Lefford, Vidalia; Henry C. Marks, Albany; Frank J. Tigner, Jr., LaGrange; J. B. Sasser, Adel; and Tigner E. Thrasher, Ashburn.
The Convention for that year was held at Macon on June 2-3-4. It had been scheduled for Gainesville, but that city was stricken by a Tornado, and was unable to act as host. Five cities offered to take it over, but Macon was the first, and her
offer was accepted. With only five weeks in which to prepare, the Macon Lions Club, headed by President Henry Koplin, with Brooks Geohegan, Convention Chairman and Stanley A. Elkan, Deputy District Governor, did an excellent job, and the opinion that it was the finest Convention ever held in the district up to that time was universal.
The report of Governor Stallings was most encouraging. He said 17 new clubs had been organized, and was very proud of the fact that for the second consecutive year Georgia had led International in the organization of new clubs. During the Convention the organization of the 18th club was announced.
The principal speaker was Vincent C. Hascall, Omaha, Nebraska, Immediate Past President. Edward Hurrah, Columbus, was elected District Governor, and D. J. Jackson, Soperton, Lieutenant Governor, an office created at this Convention.
Albany was selected as the next Convention City for the year 1936-1937.
OFFICE OF STATE HISTORIAN EUGENE SANDERS
HISTORY OF LIONISM IN GEORGIA
MAY 1, 1970
1937 – 1940
This is the second part of the story of Lionism in Georgia.
The first natural division of this story of Lionism in Georgia covered the period from December 17, 1920 when the first Lions Club in the State of Georgia was organized in Atlanta, to the meeting of the state convention in Columbus in
1937. During this period of seventeen years the entire state of Georgia was in one district. The story of these years was distributed in Augusta at the 48th annual state convention in June, 1969.
From June 1937 through June 1947 District 18 was divided into three districts, this action being taken at the 17th annual state convention in Albany, June 6, 7, 8, 1937. For convenience the story of these years is divided so that the present part includes the years from 1937-1940. This is in no wise a “finished” history. It is a rough outline, a bare skeleton which it is hoped will stir you to contribute to its enrichment.
Everyone who is concerned and who has additional information which would add interest, meaning and depth to this account is urged to communicate it to the State Historian, so that this story may “sparkle with the deeds, memories, personalities, and spirit which have built, and are building the Lionism which we love,” and through which we serve.
Ridgewood Drive, N. E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
Lions of Georgia
History of Lionism in District No. 18, Georgia 1936-1937
The 17th Annual State Convention of District No 18 Was held at Albany, Georgia, on June 6, 7, 8, 1937. District Governor Edward Murrah, Columbus, was unable to attend because of illness, The District Governor had made 67 visits to his 72 Clubs, and had imbued the membership with an enthusiasm and sense of loyalty that spoke well for the future.
The Convention was called to order by Turner L, Smith; President of the Host Club, who introduced Henry T. McIntosh, Editor of the Albany Herald, for an address of welcome on behalf of the city. Response was by D. R. Jackson, Soperton, who assumed the gavel. Wm. T. Roy, Athens, former chairman of the Board of Governors of Lions International, made a report in which he recommended the division of the District into three sub-divisions to be known as A, B, and C, named the Clubs in each, and moved its adoption. This was amended to empower the Governors
to select their own Deputies and, together, select a State Secretary. The motion carried as amended.
Dr. Rainey introduced three children of his county who had been crippled by infantile paralysis and called attention to the braces they wore, only by means of which they were able to walk. He said the Camilla Club, of which he was a member, had supplied several dozen children with similar braces, and the Camilla Club was given a rousing vote of thanks.
Necrology Services were in charge of Lion Leach, Donaldsonville.
Approximately 400 attended the Governor’s Banquet and Ball on Monday evening.
Lieutenant Governor Jackson was chairman of the Tuesday morning session. He paid a fine tribute to Governor Murrah, and later on in the program it was announced by Lion John Wynn that a check was being sent to Mrs. Ed Hurrah, in appreciation of the loyalty and unselfish service of the Governor, by the Lions Clubs of Georgia.
The Peach was adopted as the official insignia of Georgia Lions.
It was voted to place pertain restrictions on candidates for District Governor and applicants for the Convention City, and to provide headquarters at the International Convention in Chicago.
International was represented by L. H. Lewis, the first President of the Association, who was the principal speaker, and Lion Cecil Webb, International Field Representative of Chicago.
The following District Governors were unanimously elected: W. A. Abercrombie, Athens, for 18-A; D. R. Jackson, Soperton, for 18-B; and Stanley Elkan, Macon, for 18-C. Savannah was awarded the next Convention.
|No. of Clubs 1936||72||No. of Members 1936||727|
|No. of Clubs 1937||71||No. of Members 1937||1497|
|No. of Key Members 1936||192||No. of Master Key Members 1936||9|
|No. of Key Members 1937||234||No. of Master Key Members 1937||13|
|No. of visits by District Governor||67|
|No. of visits by Deputies||11|
The District Governors Organization Plan was adopted in the three Districts.
The year began with the following District Governors in office: 18-A, W. A. Abercrombie, Athens; 18-B, D. R. Jackson, Soperton; 18-C, Stanley A. Elkan, Macon. District Governor Jackson resigned at the beginning of his term and Judge
Will Stallings of Soperton was appointed to serve as District Governor for the term. On June 30, 1938, there were 76 clubs in the district, with a-total membership of 2023, representing a gain for the year of four clubs end 526 members.
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia–1937-1938
The 1938 Convention of District 18 was held in Savannah on June 5, 6, 7. International representative at the Convention was George Bell Timmerman, International Director.
A Key members breakfast was held on the second morning of the Convention.
The Convention voted to continue support of the Lions Juvenile Braille Magazine for another year.
The District Governors elected were: Dr. H. L. Barker, Carrollton, for 18-A; John Heard Arnold, Ashburn, for 18-B; and Turner L. Smith, Albany, for 18-C.
Clayton was chosen as the 1939 Convention City.
There was a gain of 42 Key Members and a gain of 2 Master Key Members over the number at the beginning of the fiscal year. The combined clubs of the district added a net total of 246 members, and there was a net increase of two clubs.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Dr, H. L. Barker, Carrollton; Region 2, L. Paul Webb, Lavonia.
Zone-Chairman were: C. W. Peacock, Lafayette; H. A. Jones, Tallapoosa; G. T. Langford, Gainesville; S. A. Hale, Athens; John R. Teasley, Canton.
There was a gain of 21 Key Members during the year. Three new clubs were established in the district and a net total of 192 members was added.
Deputy District Governors were: John H. Arnold, Ashburn, Robt. L. Cowart, Waycross, J, Eugene Cook, Wrightsville.
Zone Chairmen were: Dr. L. 0, Shaw, Tifton; Nelson S, Carswell, Dublin; Harry Heins, Augusta; Marvin J. Williams, Douglas; Edward A. Dutton, Savannah; U. V. Whipple, Jr., Cordele; ;M. ;M. Monroe, Waycross.
There was a gain of 16 Key Members and a gain of two Master Key Members during the year. There was a net loss of one club but there was a net gain of 88 members.
Deputy District Governors were: E. G. Elcan, Bainbridge; Turner L. Smith, Albany, Jett Potts, West Point; G. P. Whatley, Forsyth.
Zone Chairman was: J. B. Petty, Dawson.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1937||22||21||28||71|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1938||24||24||
Members, July 1, 1937
|Total Members, June 30, 1938||711||616||696||2023|
Number of Key Members, 1937
|Total Number of Key Members, 1938||106||126||81|
of Master Key Members 1937
|Number of Master Key Members 1938||5||5||7|
Georgia, District 18, 1938-39
In all phases of Lionism, District 18-A during 1938-39, showed substantial increases. Twenty-nine Key Memberships were awarded making a total of 135. Two Master Key Memberships were awarded, making a total of 7; one hundred and seventy-two new members were gained bringing the total to 883, and 4 new charters were granted, raising the number of clubs to 28.
Forty-seven visits were made by District Governor Barker of Carrolton to his 24 clubs.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Wade Wright of Atlanta; Region 3, Dr. R. W.
Smith of Ellijay; Region 2, W. A. Abercrombie of Athens.
Zone Chairmen were: Rev. J. C. Adams of Franklin; Frank G. Thomas of Decatur; John R. Teasley of Canton; Ed A. Burch of Dalton; Hugh A. Inglis of Clarksville; J. L, Weir of Athens.
District Governor Arnold of Ashburn made 48 visits to his 24 clubs in 18:B during 1938-39.
The clubs were strengthened by 12 new members augmenting, the total to 604. There were 31 men who won Key Memberships during the year making a total of 150, and three men distinguished themselves by achieving Master Key Awards.
Deputy District Governors serving District 18-B during this term were: Region 1, Harry A. Heins of Augusta; Region 2, D. I. Thornton of Cordele; Region No 3, H. C. Morgan of Homerville; Region 4, Edward A. Dutton of Savannah,
Zone Chairmen were B. A. Watson of Wadley; Carl B. Nelton of Dublin; J. R. Reece of Cordele; L. O. Shaw of Tifton; Marvin Williams of Douglas; K. W. Saunders of Savannah.
In 1938, there were 696 members in District 18-C, but with a loss of 17 members in 1938-39 the total was reduced to 679. Also during this term two clubs were cancelled leaving a total of 25 on June 30, 1939.
District Governor Turner L. Smith of Albany made 44 visits to his 27 clubs during this administration. Eight men were assigned Key Membership which made the Key Membership total 89. The number of Master Key Members remained unchanged.
The following were Deputy District Governors during 1938-39: Region 1, James Carithers of Moultrie; Region 2, Jim David Parker of Edison; Region 3, R. S. Heard of West Point: Region 4, Prof. G. Paul Whatley of Forsyth.
Zone Chairmen serving for this term were: Clark Gurly of Bainbridge; C. C. Rainey of Camilla; W. Jesse Chambless of Dawson; Harry Mogford of Leary; Thomas Ferguson of Talbotton; Steve Bland of Lumpkin; John Corm of Sandersville; Mallory C. Atkinson of Macon.
Clayton was host to the Annual Convention which was held from June 10-12. Total attendance numbered 401. Melvin Jones of Chicago, Founder and Secretary-General of Lions International was the principal speaker.
A Presidents’ and Secretaries meeting was held.
Key Members were honored at a breakfast, and the Braille Activity was adopted by the state.
District Governors elected for the term 1939-40 were: Wade H. Wright of Atlanta for District 18-A; J. Eugene Cook of Wrightsville for District 18-B; and William F. Loflin of Columbus for District 18-C.
Columbus was voted the 1940 Convention.
|Number of Clubs 1938||24||Number of Members 1938||711|
|Number of Clubs 1939||28||Number of Members 1939||883|
Number of Visits by District Governor 47
|Number of Key Members 1938||106||Number of Master Key Members 1938||5|
|Number of Key Members 1939||135||Number
of Master Key Members 1939
of Clubs 1938
|24||Number of Members 1938||616|
|Number of Clubs 1939||24||Number of Members 1939||604|
Number of Visits by District Governor 48
|Number of Key Members 1938||126||Number of Master Key Members 1938||5|
|Number of Key Members 1939||150||Number of Master Key Members 1939||8|
|Number of Clubs 1938||27||Number of Members 1938||696|
|Number of Clubs 1939||25||Number of Members 1939||679|
Number of Visits by District Governor 44
|Number of Key Members 1938||
|Number of Master Key Members 1938||7|
|Number of Key Members 1939||89||Number of Master Key Members 1939||7|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia – 1939-40
The year began with the following District Governors in office: 18-A Wade H. Wright, Atlanta; 18-B, J. Eugene Cook, Wrightsville; and 18-C William F. Loflin, Columbus. On June 30, 1940, there were 90 clubs in the district, with a total membership of 2652, representing a gain for the year of 13 clubs and 486 members.
The 1940 Convention of District 18 was held in Columbus on June 10, 11. Three hundred thirty-eight delegates and guests were in attendance and 53 clubs were represented. International representatives at the Convention were Dr. Carl L. Kennedy, Chairman of the Board of Governors, and Dr. H. L. Barker, member of the Board of Governors.
A Key Member breakfast, held on the first morning of the convention, was attended by 150 Key Members. Many prizes were awarded for membership gains, best attendance, and other contests.
The Convention voted to continue support of the Lions’ Juvenile Braille Magazine for another year. A resolution was also adopted which created a fund known as the Lions Student Loan Fund of Georgia.
The District Governors elected were: Hugh A. Inglis, Clarksville, for 18-A, Edward A. Dutton, Savannah, for 18-B;Jr., and Arthur S. Boyett, Buena Vista, for 18-C.
Augusta was chosen as the 1941 Convention City.
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia 1939-40
District Governor Wright made 48 visits to his clubs during the year. There was a gain of 65 Key Members and a gain of 3 Master Key Members over the number at the beginning of the fiscal year, combined clubs of the district added a net total of 253 members, and there was a net increase of seven clubs.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, H. A. Jones, Tallapoosa; Region 2, H. A. Inglis, Clarkesville; Region 3, J. H. Bagwell, Canton.
Zone Chairman were: W. Joe Scott, Atlanta; Frank Taylor, Bowdon; F. T. Corry, Siham; Col. Clyde W. Holden, Clayton; B. Jack Smith, Gainesville; E. A. Birch, Dalton; E, C. Pesterfield, Summerville.
District Governor Cook visited his clubs 30 times. There was a gain of 28 Key Members and a gain of three Master Key Members during the year. Three new clubs were established in the district and a net total of 53 members was added.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, William Estroff, Soperton; Region 2, L. O. Shaw, Tifton; Region 3, E. M. Diavours, Douglas; Region 4, A. K. Conway, Savannah.
Zone Chairmen were: Buren A. Watson; Robert H. Hightower, Dublin, Carl W. Gillespie, Abbeville; Inslee M. Johnson, Alma; W. N. Pittman, Savannah.
Thirty-four visits were made by District Governor Loflin to the clubs in his district during the year,. There was a gain of 30 Key Members and a gain of one Master Key Member, bringing the total on June 30, 1940, to 119 Key Members and eight Master Key Members. There was a net gain of three clubs in the district during the year, and a net total of 180 members was added.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Dr. C, O. Rainey, Camilla; Region 2, Henry B. Crowell, Jr., Dawson; Region 3, Arthur S. Boyett, Buena Vista; Region 4, Brooks Geoghegan, Macon.
Zone Chairmen were: Clark Gurley, Bainbridge; Duncan Sinclair, Moultrie; W.J. Watson, Shellman; Ben A. Garrett, Arlington; J. G. Pryor, Smithville; Harry R. Spikes, Lagrange; Thomas H, Ferguson, Talbotton; H. B. Rountree, Jr., Sparta; William B. Freeman, Forsyth,
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1939||28||24||25||77|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1940||35||27||28||90|
Members, June 30, 1939
|Total Members, June 30, 1940||1136||657||859||2652|
of Visits by District Governor
of Key Members, 1939
|Number of Key Members, 1940||200||178||119|
of Master Key Members, 1939
|Number of Master Key Members, 1940||10||11||8|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia – 1940-41
The year began with the following District Governors in office: 18-A, Hugh A. Inglis, Clarksville; 18-B, Edward A. Dutton, Savannah; and 18-C, A. S. Boyett, Jr. Buena Vista. On June 30, 1941 there wore 102 clubs in the district with a total membership of 2902, representing a gain of 12 clubs and 250 members for the year.
The 1941 convention of District 18 was held in Augusta on June 8, 9, and 10. There were 23 clubs represented and Past President Alexander T. Wells and Director George S. Johnson were the International Representatives.
Club Presidents’ and Secretaries’ Meetings were held, as was a Key Member Breakfast with 150 in attendance. Numerous prizes were awarded for membership gains, best attendance, and other contests.
The new District Governors elected were: Edd A. Burch, Dalton, 18-A; Ross H. Pittman, Tifton 18-B; and William B, Freeman, Forsyth, 18-C.
Gainesville was chosen as the 1942 Convention city.
District Governor Inglis made 73 visits to his clubs during the year. There were 54 keysand four Master Keys issued, during the year, and an increase of nine clubs and 248 members. The records showed 44 clubs with 1384 members at the close of the year.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Frank Taylor, Bowdon: Region 2, Grady O. Jackson, Greensboro; Region 3, Edd A. Burch, Dalton.
Zone Chairman were: Eugene Sanders, Atlanta: M. I. Garber, Cedartown; Dr. W. B. Keller, Tocoa; Ralph M. Cannon, Lavonia; R. L. Russell, Athens; N. E. Fackler, Canton; and Thomas E. Lawson, Trion.
District Governor Dutton made 20 visits to his clubs during the year. Twenty-two keys and two Master Keys were issued during the year, and three clubs were added, increasing the district’s total membership to 669, representing 30 clubs.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Fred L. Damren, Augusta; Region 2, Ross H. Pittman, Tifton; Region 3, John Youngblood, Waycross; and Region 4, R. James Dotson, Savannah.
Zone Chairmen were: S. C. Evans, Jr., Wadley; R. A. Perry, Soperton; J. R. Reese, Cordele; Dr. W. R. Wilson, Jr., Douglas; La Rue Parrish, Adel; and William N. Pittman, Savannah.
District Governor Boyett, Jr., made 40 visits to the clubs in his district, and during the year 24 Keys and one Master Key were issued. There was a loss of ten members, leaving the totals at the end of the year 28 clubs with 849 members.
Deputy District Governors were: Region l, Frank S. Twitty, Camille; Region 2, J. A. Pickard, Edison; Region 3, Honey B. Pease, Columbia; and Region 4, William B. Freeman, Forsyth.
Zone Chairmen were: R. S. McGarity, Moultrie; Henry B, Crowell, Jr., Dawson; Earl Pickle, Blakely; W. E. Higgins, West Point; J. T. Minor, Jr., Thomaston; and W. Newsome Summerlin, Sandersville.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1940||35||27||28||92|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1941||44||30||28||102|
Members, July 1, 1940
|Total Members, June 30, 1941||1384||669||849||2902|
of Visits by District Governor
of Key Members, 1940
|Number of Key Members, 1941||254||200||143|
of Master Key Members, 1940
|Number of Master Key Members, 1941||14||13||9|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia – 1941-42
The year began with District Governors Edd A. Burch (18-A) of Dalton, Ross H. Pittman (18-B) of Tifton and William B. Freeman (18-C) of Forsyth, in office. At the end of the year there was a total of 104 clubs in the combined district with a membership of 2,642 representing a gain of two clubs but a loss of 260 members.
Gainesville, Georgia, was the 1942 convention host city with sessions being held in the Dixie Hunt Hotel on June 14, 15, and 16. There were 50 clubs represented by 186 delegates and 33 Visitors. Activities, other than the regular business sessions, included a bowling tournament, golfing, swimming, theatre party, three District breakfasts, and the District Governors’ Banquet and Ball. Numerous cups and cash prizes mere awarded. Past International President Roderick Beddow, who represented Lions International at the convention, was a featured speaker.
By resolution, District 18 pledged its influence and energies toward the winning of the war, the keeping of the eventual peace, the upholding of American ideals and principles, and the honoring of those members who wore serving their country and those who were yet to be called to serve.
LaGrange, Georgia, was chosen as the 1943 convention host city and the new District Governors elected to office were: W. Joe Scott, (18-A) of Atlanta; Dr. Fred L. Damren (18-B) of Augusta and C. E. Boggs (18-C) of Talbotton, Georgia.
District Governor Burch made 54 visits to the clubs in his District during his term of office. On June 30, 1942, there were 47 clubs with a membership of 1,319. This represented a gain of three clubs during the year, but a loss of 65 members. There was a gain of 44 key members and two master Key members, making a total of 298 Key Members and 16 Master Key members.
The Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, W. Joe Scott, Atlanta (Little Five Points Club); Region 2, Grady O. Jackson, Greensboro; Region 3, James S. Tankersley, Ellijay, and Dr. Robert Smith, Ellijay; and Region 4, Dr. W. B. Heller, Tocoa.
The Zone Chairmen were: Roy Rarwell, Atlanta; Eugene Sanders, Atlanta (Decatur); Walter New, Carrollton; John Dolvin, Union Point; N. C. Row, Conyers; H. V. Henry, Lafayette; H. V. Brinkman, Jasper; M. B. Clinkscalos, Commerce; and Charles W. Colwell, Hiawassee (Towns County Club).
District Governor Pittman made 23 visits to the clubs in his District during the year. At the end of the year there were 28 clubs with a membership of 546, representing a loss of two clubs and 123 members. There was an increase of six Key members and one Master Key member, making a total of 206 key members and 14 Master Key members in the District.
The Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Joseph R. Reese, Cordele; Region 2, Walter R. Wilson, Douglas; Region 3, Dr; Fred L. Damren, Augusta; and Region 4, Dr. Melvin Sutker, Savannah, and Alfred Pineka, Savannah.
The Zone Chairmen were: F. E. Winn, Ashburn; William C. Syms, Abbevllle; M. E. Butler, Alma; William R. King, Waycross; Sam O. Evans, Jr., Wadley; Linton Malone, Dublin; and Malcolm B; Jones, Savannah;
During his term of office; District Governor Freeman made 26 visits to the clubs in his District. At the end of the fiscal year there were 29 clubs in the District with a combined membership of 777. This represented a gain of one club but a loss of 72 members. There was a net increase of 25 Key members which made a total of 168 Key members and eight Master Key members on June 30, 1942.
The Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Earle Pickle, Blakely; Region 2, R. E. Coleman, Albany; Region 3, E. J. Tucker, Lumpkin; and Region 4, Fred J. Osborne, Macon.
The Zone Chairmen were: Dallas F. Wurst; Donalsonville; Oscar Powell, Arlington, C. B. Burrell, Moultrie; Joe M. Hawley, Columbus; J. T. Minor, Jr., Thomaston; and J. L. Williams, Sparta.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1941||44||30||28||102|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1942||47||28||29||104|
Members, July 1, 1941
|Total Members, June 30, 1942||1319||546||777||2642|
of Visits by District Governor
of Key Members, 1941
|Number of Key Members, 1942||298||206||168||672|
of Master Key Members, 1941
|Number of Master Key Members, 1942||16||14||8||38|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia – 1942-43
At the close of the fiscal year 1942-43, District 18 comprised 107 clubs having a total membership of 3,050. During the year there was a gain of three clubs, 408 members, 90 Key members, seven Master Key members and one Senior Master Key member. On June 30, 1943, there was 719 Key members, 44 Master Key members and one Senior Master Key member, in this District.
The District Governors holding office during 1942-43 were: W. Joe Scott of Atlanta, in District 18-A; Dr. Fred L. Damren, of Augusta; in District 18-B; and C. E. Boggs of Talbotton, in District 18-C, upon James D. Carithers resignation in July, 1942.
The Annual Convention of District 18 was held on June 6-7-8, 1943, in LaGrange, with 46 clubs being represented and 132 delegates, 11 alternates and 145 visitors in attendance.
Harold P. Nutter of Camden, New Jersey, International Director, was on hand to officially represent the International Association.
Entertainment included Sight-seeing tours, swimming, golf, bridge, a barbecue supper, community party, a Model Luncheon, a District Governor’s luncheon, and a superbly successful Stunt Night program. Among the prizes awarded the winners of the District contests were Cups, War Bonds, Flags and cash.
newly elected District Governors were: Hoke Sewell, Gainesville, in District
18-A; Robert Cowart, Douglas, in District 18-B; and C. G. Higginbotham,
LaGrange, in District 18-C.
District Governor Scott made a total of 34 visits during the year to the clubs in his District. There was a gain of 117 members, 53 Key members, three Master Key members and one Senior Key member during the year. Two clubs were dropped.
The Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, J. C. Adams, Heard County; Region 2, J. D, Salter, Athens; Region 3, Herbert Crane, Cartersville; and Region 4, Hoke Sewell, Gainesville.
The Zone Chairmen for 1942-43 were: Vic Todd, Atlanta, Eugene Sanders, Decatur; J. Hubert Griffin, Carrollton; Ernest Haines, Crawford; W. T. Johnson, Washington; Mack Hicks, Rome; G. I. Maddox, Chatsworth; O. D, Cannon, Jr., Lavonia; and J. S. Lunsford, Clarksville.
District Governor Damren made a total of 27 visits to the clubs in his District during the year. There was a gain of five clubs, 232 members, 19 Key members and three Master Key members during this period.
The Deputy District Governors were: Region 1,W. M. Syms, Abbeville; Region 2, Dr. Walter R. Wilson, Jr., Douglas; Region 3, William Estroff, Soperton; R. A. Perry, Soperton; and Region 4, Alfred Pineda, Savannah.
Zone Chairmen for the year were: F. E. Wynn, Ashburn; David Clark, Hawkinsville; M. E. Butler, Alma; William R. King, Waycross; Sam Evans, Wadley; Linton Malone, Dublin: and Malcolm B, Jones, Savannah.
District Governor C. E. Boggs of Talbotton made a total of 25 visits during the year to clubs in his District. The records for this period indicate a gain of 59 members, 18 Key members and one Master Key member.
The offices of Deputy District Governors were filled by: Region 1, Sam Sells of Moultrie; Region 2, Oscar Powell, Arlington; Region 3, Bill Westbrook, Columbus; and Region 4, J. L. Williams, Sparta.
Zone Chairmen during the year were: Lawrence Short, Smithville; Dr. R. H. Enzer, Smithville; H. B. Williams, Bainbridge; Frank Taylor, Dawson; J. D. Davis, Ellaville; W. A. Smalley, Forsyth; and Dr. S. N. Rubin, Wilkinson County.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1942||47||28||29||104|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1943||45||33||29||107|
Members, July 1, 1942
|Total Members, June 30, 1943||1436||778||836||3050|
of Visits by District Governor
of Key Members, 1942
|Number of Key Members, 1943||340||201||178||719|
of Master Key Members, 1942
|Number of Master Key Members, 1943||19||16||9||44|
Master Key members, 1942
|Senior Master Key members, 1943||1||1|
1947 – 1948
The four District Governors had aggressive administrations in 1947 – 1948. The state showed an increase in clubs and memberships, 16 new clubs being organized.
Several worthwhile matters that had been discussed for years were actually put into operation, namely: a state uniform was adopted and secured; a special train was chartered for attending the International Convention in New York; a Georgia Display and a Georgia Breakfast were inaugurated at the International Convention.
International President Fred W. Smith was entertained in Atlanta during the year and an excellent state convention was held at Savannah.
District Governors Joe Davis of 18A, J. T. Baxley of 18B, and W. J. Andrews of 18D visited all clubs.
District 18A under District Governor Joe Davis was 100% perfect in getting all secretaries’ reports to International on time.
1948 – 1949
GORDON R. HOLSTON
WALTER B. COHAN
| B. HURLEY Moultrie
|ROBERT M. MATTHEWS
1948 – 1949
The District Governors of 1948-1949 continued the good works of the previous administrations and added a few of their own.
During the year the Lions of Georgia sponsored the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind. A new cup was added to the cup awards, the Augusta Cup, which is to be presented to the club meeting weekly having the largest number of 100% meetings for the year.
Again there was a special train to the International Convention, a Georgia breakfast, and a first class Georgia display. The. Glee Club of the Blind Academy at Macon was taken to the convention and was enthusiastically received.
At the International Convention our own Dr. Homer L. Barker,of Carrollton, was elected an International Director.
During the year International President Eugene S. Briggs was guest of the Georgia Lions in Atlanta. District Governors Gordon R. Holstun of 18A, W. H. Cohan of 18B, and R. M. Matthews of 18D visited all clubs, and District 18A was 100% perfect in sending in
Secretaries’ reports on time. The usual fine state convention was held at Macon. On January 1, 1949, District 18 had 152 clubs with 6988 members.
1949 – 1950
The 1949-1950 District Governors have been working hard and are certain to show splendid results for the year.
International President Walter C. Fisher and Secretary Genera1 Melvin Jones have made separate visits to the state and received royal welcomes.
Elaborate plans have been made for again putting Georgia on the map at the International Convention, which is to be held in Chicago.
The Georgia Lions State Convention is to be held in Atlanta under the sponsorship of the Lions clubs of Metropolitan Atlanta.
International Counselor Eugene Sanders is serving as General Chairman.
On May 15, 1950, three of the four districts have been -100% in getting all secretaries’ reports to International on time. Lionism in the state has continued to grow, on March 28, 1950, having 152 clubs and 7106 members.
1949 – 1950
EARL W. HATHCOCK
WALTER R. WILSON, JR.
|RUFUS B. JENNINGS
|CHARLES R. CLEGG
1950 – 1951
The year was another good one for Lionism in Georgia.
The Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind, sponsored by Georgia Lions, handled over 250 cases.
Our own Dr. Homer L. Barker, of Carrollton, served as an International Director.
Director General R. Roy Keaton was entertained at Gainesville and at Radium Springs.
A Fat Cattle Show put on by the Donaldsonville club received wide recognition.
The usual fine State Convention was held at Columbus.
At the International Convention in Chicago, Georgia was in the spotlight as never before. Among the Georgia features were :
Special train facilities to and from the convention.
A Georgia State Headquarters at a hotel assigned to Georgia Lions.
A Georgia State Breakfast with 105 present.
Winner of third, prize in the parade for delegates in uniform.
Winner of second prize in high school bands by sponsoring the Jordan High School Band of Columbus.
An excellent Georgia booth. Georgia Lions distributed 30,000 packages of salted peanuts, 10,000 bags of Stuart pecans, 30,000 Georgia match folders, and several thousand four-ounce bottles of Georgia turpentine.
Thanks are due the convention committee of Chairman Rufus B. Jennings of Dawson, Ed Dyer of Decatur, Fred Dameron of Augusta, Gerald Pearson of Columbus, and J. W. Henry of Athens; also to the District Governors of the state and to the many, many Georgia Lions and Lionesses who worked at the convention and participated in the parade.
On May 1, 1951, District 18 had the following number of clubs and members :
|District 18A||44 clubs||2461 members|
|District 18B||50 clubs||1708 members|
|District 18C||41 clubs||1713 members|
|District 18D||30 clubs||1382 members|
|165 clubs||7264 members|
Much of the success of the year was due to the District Governors who worked long and faithfully in visiting clubs and promoting Lionism.
1950 – 1951
EVERETT G. LIVINGSTON
DR. CHAS. M. BLANTON
|DR. WM. M. HARRIS
|W. B. CALDWELL
The year presented a number of unusual and progressive features in Georgia Lionism.
A large number of clubs conducted sales of brooms made by the blind. These sales not only enabled the blind people to have full time employment but also realized sizable profits for the charitable work of the clubs. Lions have always shown a particular interest in helping the blind-the broom sales should grow in importance in the years to come.
An outstanding project of the year was the sending of the Russell High Boys’ Glee Club to Philadelphia for the Music Education National Conference. The East Point Lions Club, a club of about thirty members at the time, raised $10,000 for the trip. The project brought much favorable publicity to Georgia Lions and to the State of Georgia.
A Grand Master Key (fifty new members) was awarded Lion Hoke Wallace of the Winder Club.
On April 1 the Dalton and Rome clubs had a record of perfect attendance at all meetings. Dalton meets every other week; Rome meets weekly.
A new club house costing approximately $35,000 was dedicated with impressive ceremonies by the Winder Lions Club. The new home of the Lions provides a wonderful contribution to the civic and community life of Winder.
At this time it is possible for all four of our districts to qualify for the 100% award for sending all secretaries’ reports to International on time.
District 18 on April 1 had 185 clubs and 7,359 Lions. This is an increase of twenty clubs over the previous year. International Representative Walter B. Currie helped greatly in the organization of many of the new clubs.
Much of the success of the year 1951-1952 is due to the four District Governors. Under their faithful and inspiring leadership Georgia Lionism continued to grow in numbers, in deeds and in ideals.
|IVAN H. JACKSON
|M. S. MONCRIEF
|JACK G. COMER
1952 – 1953
District 18 has continued to grow – it now has 20 more clubs and 1,592 more Lions than last year. More important, however, is the fact that Georgia Lions are demonstrating .a real spirit of Lion fellowship and service. Here are a few examples :
The town of Patterson, population 656, had been without doctors for several years. The Lions Club located and renovated a building for offices, raised money for six months’ free rent, and secured two physicians for part of each week. In addition the club graded and lighted a football field and also promoted a community sing with over 1,000 present!
Unadilla Lions published the Unadilla Observer.
The Chatsworth Club sponsored the rebuilding of a rundown farm for teaching and vocational practices.
The Valley purchased an iron lung for use in clinics.
The Alapaha Club in a town of 505 had many worthwhile projects including the raising of $4,500 to replace the water tank destroyed by a tornado. Town officials had the Lion emblem painted on the tank.
Cordele Lions promoted a three-mile safety parade.
More and more clubs are conducting “broom sales” of brooms made by the blind. The Columbus club realized a profit of $3,610 which will be used entirely for sight conservation work.
About 75 Georgia clubs are helping the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind. Over 845 cases have been handled in three years.
Other highlights of the year :
An inspiring state convention at Augusta with International President Harold P. Nutter attending.
Lion Jack Comer, of Cordele, was elected Vice Chairman of the International Board of Governors at the International Convention in Mexico City.
The Dalton club has a 100% attendance record.
The Grand Master Key was awarded to Lion Hoke Wallace, of Winder, and the Senior Master Key to Lion A. Lee White, of Bremen.
All secretaries of all districts are 100% on time in sending monthly reports to Lions International.
Hats off to the District Governors, for leading a splendid year of growth and accomplishments.
On May 1, 1953, District 18 had the following:
|District 18B||57 clubs||2,074
|District 18C||47 clubs||1,827 members|
|District 18D||44 clubs||1,941 members|
DISTRICT GOVERNORS 1952-1953
|ETHAN L. TAYLOR
|JULIUS R. HOLT
|GERRY W. PEARSON
|W. NEAL WHITWORTH
The year was highlighted by a greatly increased interest in zone, region and district meetings. “A” held a notable dual region meeting in Atlanta in which 27 Lions Clubs participated; “B” had a splendid district meeting at Blackshear; “C” had the first district assembly in Georgia (a 24-hour affair) at Cordele; and “D” had a big zone meeting at Gainesville with 375 present. These fine meetings and many others really stirred up the spirit ‘of Lionism in District 18.
The year was also featured by the large number of International Officers who visited our district; Director General R. Roy Keaton; 1st Vice President Monroe L. Nute; 3rd Vice President Jack Stickley; Past Presidents Edgar M. Elbert and Julien Hyer, and International Directors Roy H. Black, E. L. “Slim” Harris and C. W. McKee. Never before have we been honored with so much brass in one year. Some of these fine Lions paid us more than one visit and addressed several Lion gatherings.
1953-1954 was an outstanding year in many ways:
District 18-C was 100% for the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind; every club in the district having sent $1.00 per capita to the Lighthouse.
The Calhoun and East Point clubs had 100% attendance records for the year.
The Dawsonville Club raised $2,880.00 for a fire engine.
The Sylvester club was the first service club in the United States to publicly endorse President Eisenhower’s Highway Safety Program.
The Griffin Club interested the State in a broom factory for blind negroes in Griffin and guaranteed $1,900.00 of the $7,000.00 needed.
The Savannah Club educated the public in regard to the necessity of more money for the school system and secured a majority vote for an increase in school taxes.
District 18-A chartered eleven new clubs.
All secretary reports for all districts were 100% on time.
A fine state convention was sponsored by the Atlanta and the Metropolitan Atlanta
District 18 continued to grow in numbers and in Lion spirit.
Congratulations to the District Governors for a wonderful year!
District 18 Clubs
|District 18A||70 clubs||3,516 members|
|District 18B||56 clubs||2,142 members|
|District 18C||49 clubs||1,918 members|
|District 18D||50 clubs||1,996 members|
|225 clubs||9,572 members|
1953 – 1954
|A. F. ROLF
|R. C. McALONEY
1954 – 1955
At the International Convention in Chicago, our own Marvin G. Pounds of Sparta was elected International Director. An inspiring Georgia Breakfast was held. Handsome paperweights of Stone Mountain granite were presented to members of the International family.
The year continued the fine interest in regional and zone meetings. Some of these were large and elaborate affairs with an International officer as speaker. Each year the positions of Deputy District Governor and Zone Chairman become more important in promoting the spirit of Lionism.
Many excellent projects were completed during the year:
The Plains Lions Club built a $6,000 swimming pool for the community.
Valdosta established a foundation of several thousand dollars for worthy causes.
The Stockbridge Lions Club, only two years old, took on the man-sized job of making and raising $20,000 for a gymnasium-auditorium,
The Lighthouse for the Blind received support from nearly all clubs and a good job was done in selling tickets to the All Star State High School Baseball Game for the
Lighthouse. Clubs continued the worthwhile and profitable sale of brooms made by the blind.
Lion clubs sold more than 30,000 Atlanta TV baseball books, receiving much favorable publicity and making a nice profit.
The Georgia 1954 State Convention voted to sponsor the organization of Junior Academy Science Clubs in local high schools. This led to increased interest and the holding of many science fairs. The Decatur Lions Club sponsored the top
winner in the state junior science fair and paid his way to the National Science Fair at Cleveland, Ohio.
District 18 has 225 clubs and 9,357 Lions.
All secretaries from all districts have been 100% perfect in getting monthly reports to International on time.
The Cup Awards, due to the’ hard work of Chairman Joe Davis and his committees, have increased in interest. This year, as a new feature, “Shield Awards” were presented to second-place winners.
The long-needed revision of the State Constitution and By-laws was given attention. A committee of Chairman A. F. Rolf, Eugene Sanders, W. R. Wilson Jr., Jack
Comer and, Bob Matthews submitted a complete revision to the convention at Savannah.
Because of the continued growth of Lionism in District 18, it became necessary to redistrict the state into six districts: A, B, C, D, E and F. This was done at the Savannah Convention and six District Governors were elected to succeed the
four District Governors.
1954 – 1955
|H. M. “BILL” WOODARD
|F. F. RAMBO